Background and circular economy
Launched in 2018, ReTub encourages single-use plastic reduction via its reusable takeaway containers and consulting services. Retub's café partners throughout Australia will accept ReTub containers when customers pick up takeaway food and can swap inner containers for a clean one.
ReTub seeks optimal use and value retention of their tubs via a lasting product that is reusable and easily replaces single-use alternatives of the same shape. They demonstrates an advancing circular economymaturity level (18/25). This has been achieved by implementing environmental impact awareness approaches, and raising environmental impact awareness with stakeholders.
Drivers for circular economy adoption
The founder’s vision for sustainability was the crucial internal driver toward circularity. The envisioned business potential and financial benefits also drove them to adopt a circular economy model. The appeal from the market for a circular replacement for single-use takeaway containers while providing an easy way for people who are looking for easy ways to reduce environmental impact externally drove them to adopt the circular economy model.
Circular economy practices adopted
- Refuse the use of single-use plastic takeaway containers
- Use only quality material as inputs
- Long lasting product
- Reuse of the containers with support from cafes
Company changes with the adoption of circular economy
ReTub adopted their circular economy model from the inception.
Barriers and challenges
Barriers and challenges include:
- Lack of manufacturing in Australia to make containers at a reasonable cost
- Manufacturers were reluctant towards the idea of circularity
- Product key material constraints (i.e. plastics) to reuse
- Peoples’ (café and customer) attitudes towards used containers
Critical success factors for circular economy
Critical success factors include:
- The founder's vision and commitment
- Digitalisation of product market
- Networked collaboration with cafes, customers, and local government
- Educating cafes and customers
Benefits of adopting a circular economy
The key benefit ReTub have seen is the economic benefits. Adopting the circular economy model has also provide a change in single-use plastics for food containers.